Can prednisone heal granulomatous gastritis?

Hi Doctor,
I have been suffering of gastritis for more than 6 years, my last endoscopy showed that I have isolated noncaseating granulomatous gastritis, could you please advise what drugs treats the granulomatous gastritis, I believe that taking Nexium for more than 4 years is what caused this gastritis, I am suffering also from allergy and I am no longer able to take nexium as my body developed
is Prednisone is helpful in healing this type of gastritis?
Walid G.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later

Granulomatous gastritis can be caseating (caused by infection) or non caseating. Since you have been diagnosed with non caseating granulomatous gastritis, hence it is due to non infectious causes. These include Crohn disease, sarcoidosis, and isolated granulomatous gastritis and patients who are symptomatic with idiopathic granulomatous gastritis usually present when they are older than 40 years and symptoms include epigastric pain, weight loss, and vomiting secondary to pyloric obstruction.

Neksium is not responsible for causing this, but it is infact one of the drugs used for treatment. Treatment is successful with Helicobacter pylori eradication and the treatment includes : antibiotics against most H pylori strains, proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole, lansoprazole etc and bismuth compounds.

There have been reported cases of treatment of this medical condition with steroids but they should be used only after a detailed examination and consultation of a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.