Can positive mono igg and igm can cause a false positive ra?

Rheumatologist
Question
I was tired with swollen glands two years ago ..labs came back positive for mono. Igg and igm. Positive. Problem is i still have joint aches and intermittent swolllen glands. And two years later i am still positive for mono. I had another localized infection in my throat and was tested for cytomeglvirus and came back positive for this recently(igg and igm) . And again igm pos for mono. Last month i got bit by a tick and tested positive for lyme. But western blot was negative. I was concerned about being positive for so many virus and gor so long 2 years so idid an aids test and it was negative. Could something be causing me tohave false positives.? My symptoms are very!!! Very painful joints, sperfuse sweating and swallen glands.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that once you have a viral infection then it is possible that you test falsely positive for other viruses even later. It will not be possible to comment upon the cause but I think you require a thorough evaluation . A physical examination , other tests pertaining to evaluation of arthritis like ESR , CRP , RF , Anti CCP , ANA will be necessary . Pattern of joint involvement needs to be seen . Rheumatoid arthritis like conditions also needs to be ruled out . If there is any skin rash also needs to be seen . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Can positive mono igg and igm can cause a false positive ra? 5 hours later
I heard that positive mono igg and igm can cause a false positive ra . Is this true?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for reverting back. Well yes it is possible that Rheumatoid factor is a cause of positive reactions in tests for Epstein–Barr virus-specific IgM antibodies because RF itself is IgM antibody so cross reactivity is possible . Dr. Shruti