Can positive hematuria be possibly related to kidney cysts and bladder cancer?

May 2014

I am a 34 year old female non-smoker. About 3 weeks ago I started feeling urge to urinate and only small amount would come out. Went to Dr. and urinalysis tested negative for uti but did show +5 for microscopic hematuria. I was prescribed bactrim for 7 days. Went back in one week and still showed the same for the microscopic hematuria. My symptoms are pretty much the same. Frequent urge to urinate. No burning or pain. Could I possibly have bladder cancer? Oh and about 2 years ago I was diagnosed with several simple kidney cysts. Could that have anything to do with the microscopic hematuria?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Bactrim is a good medication and treats most urinary tract infections. It's important that you get an urine culture and sensitivity test done to know if your urinary tract is still infected with bacteria and if you need change in medication. An ultrasound scan of abdomen and pelvis with measurement of pre and post void urine volume. This will show any significant urinary infection involving urinary bladder, ureter and kidneys. It will also show any suspicious cancer in urinary tract including urinary bladder. If you had kidney cysts less than 3 cm in diameter then it's unlikely to cause any problems. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek