Can pomegranate be taken during pregnancy?

May 2013
Is it ok to eat pomegranate fruit everyday during pregnancy ?
My wife is pregnant (75 days) and i am giving her one full pomegranate fruit daily.
Now, i heard its not good during early pregnancy. Is it so ?
Will it have any bad impact?
What other fruits she can eat now?

Thanks and best regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Generally there is no harm in eating pomegranate fruit in pregnancy.
Pomegranate fruit contains powerful antioxidants which are essential for the brain development of the baby. They also protect mother and baby from disorders like anaemia; it will maintain good blood circulation and strengthens the heart.
As your wife is in first trimester it will help in brain development of the baby.
It also contains vitamins like A, E, folic acid, iron, calcium, potassium which are essential for the growth of the baby. By strengthening the uterus it prevents abortions.
But excessive eating of pomegranates can lead to,
Gastrointestinal disturbances like nausea, vomiting, cramping pain of the stomach etc. As in pregnancy gastrointestinal disturbances like nausea, vomiting is common. Excessive eating of pomegranate will further increase them.
It can cause drug interactions if taken with drugs like antihypertensives, as pomegranate is reported to decrease blood pressure.
By affecting the liver enzymes it can lead to accumulation of medicines in the body.
So, it is better to restrict the intake to 2 to 3 fruits in a week.
She can eat apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, mangoes or any fruit of her choice.
But if she having problem with any specific fruit like gastritis with oranges better avoid them.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.