Can pituitary tumor cause facial pain?

Neurologist, Surgical
I am a 54 year old divorced white female, post menopausal, just dx'd with a pituitary tumor. (Also, one round of labs indicated I had Addison's, the second did not.) I have goiter, hiatal hernia, peptic ulcer. I am 5'2" and weigh approximately 110. (Gained 6 pounds in 1 month inexplicably) I suffer from chronic, year-round allergies and slight asthma. Tonsilectomy in 1966. Osteoarthritis in neck, shoulder, toes, fingers.
I have a hx of migraines. The last several months, Ihave had increasing headaches, facial pain, stiffness, facial swelling, visual problems, stiff neck, terrible, chronic nasal and ear congestion. Extreme fatigue, sleepiness, dizziness, trouble with balance, memory, irritability, depression. My dr. wants me to see a neurologist but there is a 2 month waiting list. Could the tumor be causing the facial pain/swelling, jaw stiffening? Also, why would one round of labs indicate I have adrenal failure and then labs taken 2 weeks later not show the same thing? I feel horrible but can't seem to get any help. Thank you for your attention, XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Cancer
Follow-up: Can pituitary tumor cause facial pain? 23 hours later
I also had sinus surgery 11 years ago to remove polyps. Other symptoms include: insomnia/hpersomnia, headaches which do not respond to pain relievers, hot flashes, periodic lymph node swelling particularly on the neck, back of knees, soles of feet and underarms.

Could the pituitary tumor have grown into my sinuses and/or mastoid?
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 6 hours later

I have gone through your history in detail. Most of your symptoms appear to be related to postmenopausal syndrome.

Regarding pituitary adenoma ,following are the sugestions for you:

1. Management of pituitary adenoma depends on its size on MRI & hormonal activity in the tumour. surgical decompression of larger tumours is done if it is causing pressure on visual apparatus & medical management for smaller tumors / hormonally active tumour.

2. Facial pain/swelling/jaw stiffness are very unlikely to be due to pituitary tumor.

3. In adrenal failure labs reports may vary due to diurnal variations in hormonal profile.

4. Pituitary tumor may grow in sinuses but at a very last stage which does not seem to be in your case.

5. You can consult a neurosurgeon for pituitary adenoma. complete eye checkup is also required. complete hormonal profile assessment is also required.

6. Pituitary tumors may be managed nonsurgically by hormones / medications and/or gamma knife

Hope my suggestions will help you.

wishing u a speedy recovery.