Can piriton be taken for skin reactions caused by clarithromycin?

can i take piriton for reactions caused by clarithromycin
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 46 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX

By reaction to clarithromycin, I understand that you are referring to minor skin reactions to clarithromycin (like itching, redness, etc.).

In such a case it is recommended that you initiate an antihistaminic tablet. Piriton contains chlorpheniramine maleate which is an antihistaminic and its dose is 4mg to be taken thrice daily till reaction subsides. You need to take precaution of not involving in active works requiring concentration like driving vehicle, when you are on Piriton since it has some sedation as its side effect.

Also , before taking the next dose of clarithromycin you need to consult your Physician. If the reaction is minor you can continue the drug, however if the reaction is severe then the drug i.e. clarithromycin needs to be discontinued.

I hope I have answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any further queries.
Please accept my answer if there are no further queries

Wish you a good health recovery.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra