Can persistent stimulation of breast cause galactorrhea?

Endocrinologist
Question
My endocrinologist did blood test. Testosterone was normal, prolactin was also in normal range. Maybe my symptoms were psychosomatic from the constant worrying about it plus the constant touching. I dont know, the human body is a wierd complex machine. Blows my mind.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Persistent stimulation. Detailed Answer: Dear sir, Hi! good to hear you have gone through the tests. more pleased to know things are normal. persistent stimulation can cause galactorrhea so the answer is avoid manipulating the nipples. Regards! remember to get MRI done if again you have breast discharge. MRI pituitary

Follow-up: Can persistent stimulation of breast cause galactorrhea? 3 minutes later
If prolactin is in normal range, wouldnt that mean no prolactinoma?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes it does. Detailed Answer: dear sir, yes it does mean no prolactinoma. but at times these hormonal profiles can be dicy. prolactin requires 3 pooled samples. was that done? then the secretion is pulsatile so I said if any repeat discharge any time rule out prolactinoma. Regards!

Follow-up: Can persistent stimulation of breast cause galactorrhea? 24 hours later
When they did the tests they took.approximately 7 viles of blood. What i guess is hard to understand, if my prolactin is in normal range then why did i have that white discharge a few months back. Doctor, would it be safe to say that if any man was on a "prolactin raising drug" combined witb the effect of the constant stimulation that they too most likely could have experienced the same white discharge?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes that is possible. Detailed Answer: Dear sir it is definitely possible to have white breast discharge due to drug effect and constant nipples stimulation.

Follow-up: Can persistent stimulation of breast cause galactorrhea? 22 hours later
Since my prolactin levels are normal, would that discharge still be considered gallactorhea?

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 4 hours later
Brief Answer: yes! Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, any breast discharge is termed galactorrhea if it is white or milky in color and consistency. Regards!