Can pericoronitis used for wisdom tooth causes tingling and numbness in jaw?

Question
I have tingling and numbness in the lower left part of my jaw. Dentist has gave me antibiotics to cover pericoronitis for one of my wisdom teeth, but I don't think this is the cause. What could this be caused by? I am a very healthy 23 year old student.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Guru 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Even I don't think that antibiotics is the cause Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! If the dentist would have used any chemical such as local anesthetic to avoid pain while examining your teeth, it may cause transient tingling and numbness. If this is the case, it is not of much concern. If this is no the case, a physical examination is mandatory to assess this. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Can pericoronitis used for wisdom tooth causes tingling and numbness in jaw? 3 minutes later
This has been going on since Friday, and I am worried in case this could be a big problem without causing any major pain (the pain I have had is very minor and only occurs when touched). Could this be a serious problem?

Answered by Dr. Guru 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up! It may not be a serious problem. As you already have pericoronitis and you are getting treated for it, the swelling or inflammation caused by it may also cause some irritation of nerve supply and so numbness and tingling. However, as I mentioned previously, a physical examination is mandatory to assess this. A follow up with your dentist would be a good idea. Hope I have answered your query. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!

Follow-up: Can pericoronitis used for wisdom tooth causes tingling and numbness in jaw? 9 hours later
Can this be a symptom of Jaw cancer? I looked up my symptoms on Google and noticed that some of the things I mentioned are mentioned there (jaw numbness, lump on jawline(although it is small and is easily moved around when I move it).

Answered by Dr. Guru 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for follow up! I can understand your apprehension. But, your symptom is very very nonspecific to suspect jaw cancer. Unless, you are a heavy smoker, have the habit of chewing tobacco, this is extremely rare. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!