Can passive smoking cause long term respiratory problems?

Hi, My fiance has never smoked but has been going out to bars and clubs every week -sometimes twice a week- for the past 7 years - most of them outside that allow smoking. I wouldn't say they are overly smokey, just a few people every so often I guess. She said she stayed away from people that smoked there but I know it's still really bad and i'm worried that she has done long term damage to herself and her lungs - During the week she doesnt have any exposure, just on the weekends for a few hours a night. Can she heal back to normal after this or do we always have to worry for the future of respiratory problems?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 32 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Yes, Passive Smoking is as bad as smoking itself. The bars are closed places in which the exhaled smoke would circulate and cause damage to persons who do not smoke themselves. Also the carbon monoxide levels are very high.

Carbon monoxide from smoking can also produce distortions of time perception, psychomotor and visual impairment and negative effects on cognitive skill. Carbon monoxide reduces the uptake of oxygen from the lungs - the higher the levels of carbon monoxide, the lower the levels of oxygen. Oxygen is vital for the functioning of all energy systems in the body; so as soon as one cuts carbon monoxide levels, he / she will experience enhanced energy levels.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.