Can parasites live in the scrotal sac?

ENT Specialist
Question
About a week ago after I got out of the shower and dried myself, I noticed what appeared to me as something crawling around my scrotum sac, if I move my penis to the left the scrotum skin will contract and extend as if something is crawling inside, I can shift it to the right and the same thing happens or I can just sit there and stare at that area and I swear I can see something moving underneath my skin. Is this possible? could I have a parasite living in my sac? or do I just need to put myself in in the loony house? please help I'm concerned. 53 yr old male, 5'6", 129 lbs and in good health
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Dear Josealaniz,

Thank you for your query.

1. The scrotum is lined by a thin smooth muscle layer known as the Dartos fascia which is just under the skin and gives the scrotum it's wrinkled appearance. Involuntary contractions of parts of the dartos muscle seem to make the scrotal skin 'crawl'.

2. The testis is lined by the Cremaster muscle which moves the testis up and down according to changes in temperature, because the testis require to be at a temperature slightly lower than body temperature for optimum sperm and testosterone production.

3. These involuntary contractions can also be elicited voluntarily by movements of the penis and scrotum, stroking the inner thigh from hip to knee, such as would happen while drying and wiping off after a shower. Sudden change in temperatures during and after a shower will also be rapidly adjusted by sudden scrotal movement.

4. These are also protective reflexes which move the testis closer to the body at times of arousal or stress. These reflex movements are stronger in boys and younger males.

5. There is no parasite moving under your scrotal skin though it appears so.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Regards.