Can painless mouth ulcer and dry mouth be signs of HIV?

Hello Doctor i had protected vaginal sex and unprotected oral sex with a prostitute when i was in amsterdam on 6th january. after 4 days i had a small painless mouth ulcer on my lower lip. and from yesterday i am feeling dry mouth and throat.i am really scared after i saw that these might be symptoms of acute hiv . i am really sleepless since i got that ulcer. Do you think i might have hiv?. and should i be worried regarding this symptoms.?
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I doubt you could have HIV sir, but better to test Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I have gone through your query with diligence, and I seriously doubt this can be symptoms of HIV, as it takes at least a few weeks for the virus to spread through the system itself and for the symptoms to appear. Also, the appearance of the particular symptoms are non-significant, and cannot be related to HIV in specific sir. The appearance of these symptoms and them being related to HIV this early after unprotected contact, is highly unlikely sir. So please do not worry about HIV, or its symptoms, as I feel your symptoms are due to another cause all together. Just to be on the safer side, I would recommend a HIV-DUO test which can be conducted 28 days after exposure from an suspected HIV-carrier. It is better to rule out HIV, instead of living with the fear of possibly having it, don't you think so sir? I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.