Can pain in esophagus, heartburn and difficulty in swallowing be indications of esophageal cancer?

It hurts sometimes when I swallow. I am a non smoker, non drinker. The pain in in the esophagus. In the past couple of weeks I have had some heartburn. Never had heartburn before. After eating sometimes burping. I fear esophageal cancer. What else could it be?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Pain during swallowing could occur due to pharyngitis and esophagitis. Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the throat and usually occurs due to infection and sometimes due to acid reflux disease. Esophagitis is the inflammation of the esophagus and can occur due to acid reflux disease, infections and swallowing certain pills. An upper GI endoscopy may be done for confirmation. Take OTC prilosec and carafate for relief. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini