Can over the counter medicine be taken to relieve congestion from cold?

Excellent

Question
Can I take An allergy over the counter med to relieve congestion from a cold?
Posted Sun, 16 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you can Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. Yes anti-allergic medicine can be effectively used to get relief from congestion from a cold. Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Can over the counter medicine be taken to relieve congestion from cold? 31 hours later
I also have a popping sound or murmuring sound that I can hear coming from my lung....is this ok?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 18 hours later
Brief Answer: The sound needs to be examined by a physician Detailed Answer: Hi again, I need more details about the sound to tell you exactly. It may be something like rales or wheezing in the lungs. It can also be a murmur from the heart. Heart murmurs are mostly felt in the area of the heart and rales/wheezes are usually heard over the lungs. To confirm the origin it will need to be examined by the physician. A viral infection of the respiratory tract can cause some sounds (wheezing) which go away when the infection clears up. There is nothing much to worry about in such a scenario. But if the cause is something else then specific treatment may be needed. Thus if the sound appeared with the cold it may be ignored, but if it doesnot disappear when the cold is gone, it may be further evaluated. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Can over the counter medicine be taken to relieve congestion from cold? 1 hour later
Ok....thanks...I think it comes from cold and lung area. Which would you take for cold to relieve discomfort: aspirin....ibuprofen....or Alleve if there is no fever....I have fatigue...cough and congestion.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 hours later
Brief Answer: For discomfort you can take tylenol (paracetamol) Detailed Answer: Hi again For discomfort, when there is no pain or discomfort, I would suggest paracetamol (tylenol). If that is not available then you can take ibuprofen. Ibuprofen is a painkiller and should be taken only if pain or discomfort is present. Its dose is 200 mg two to three times a day. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Can over the counter medicine be taken to relieve congestion from cold? 13 hours later
Ok...Thankyou...but how do I know that the popping noise from lung area from bronchial infection is not pneumonia? I do not have fever...just some cough and fatigue.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 hours later
Brief Answer: An X-ray chest Detailed Answer: Hi again To diagnose pneumonia, your doctor may prescribe you chest X-ray and the consolidation from pneumonia may show up. Complete blood count done with blood tests may point to the type of infection, whether bacterial, fungal or is it an allergy etc. If you are getting sputum, a sputum microscopy can also be done. These are the basic tests and further tests will be indicated depending on the results of these tests. Thus you need to see your doctor to find the source of the popping sound. Regards. Dr Vaishalee