Can ovarian cyst cause chronic pain in SI joint and hip joint?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello. I am a 48 year old female who is in good health and somewhat overweight (40 lbs) with no known history of pelvic/uterine problems. I was wondering if ovarian cysts can cause chronic referred pain to the SI/ hip joint? Two months ago I had a suspected ovarian cyst rupture on my right side. The pain from it was as excruciating as a kidney stone. The CAT scan was inconclusive, a kidney stone and appendicitis was ruled out, and blood tests were normal.
I had been having intermittent right-sided SI joint pain for several months and, two weeks previous to the rupture event, I'd had unusual signs like hot flashes, mood swings, frequent urination, and breast tenderness. For two weeks following the suspected cyst rupture, I had no pain at all and all of the other symptoms also disappeared with exception of the frequent urination.
Now, the pain has returned, and affects both SI joints and is nearly unbearable. I am controlling the pain with 400-800 mg doses of Ibuprofen. My periods are still regular and normal. I am positive I am not pregnant and have not been for several years. Can you offer any ideas of what may be going on?
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
The pain in the SI joint that you are having is not likely to be related to the ovarian cysts. It is more likely to be related to the spondylottic changes in the spine. An MRI of the spine will help in proper diagnosis.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.