Can osteoarthritis of shoulder remain pain free and after having an extremely painful injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can osteoarthritis/calcification of the shoulder remain pain free and after an injury become extremely painful. Before the injury I was not receiving treatment, not on medication and had no problem with any aspects of my life. Now I have limitations on certain activities.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it can.

Detailed Answer:

Yes it can flare up after injury.
However when you get new injury another part of the shoulder can get injured, so may be a tendon tear or simple analgesia and gentle exercises to your shoulder, and if no significant improvement then ultrasound scan of the shoulder will be indicated.

Wish you speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Can osteoarthritis of shoulder remain pain free and after having an extremely painful injury? 50 minutes later
This has to do with workers compensation. I suffered a injury to my shoulder and because of this pre-existing condition they say they are not responsible to compensate me. Until the injury I had no problems so feel the injury accelerated this condition and caused the symptoms I now have. Do you have a medical opinion on whether this could be true? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat Ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

Get new ultrasound scan and if there is tendon tear then it is definitely new thing not related to your pre existing condition.