Can one get a false negative HLA B27 test possible?

Can I have a false negative HLA B27 test? My mother and uncle have AS. My mother's other brother has Reiters Syndrome. I tested negative for the gene last week. I was wondering how accurate the tests are.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

HLA B27 is an antigen and it is highly unlikely to be false negative. If your mother and uncle had the positive results you can have it negative as it is not genetically transmitted. HLA B27 only predicts the probability of having AS and its association with other disorders like juvenile RA, uveitis, Etc.
Negative test is not confirmatory that you do not have the disease. The diagnosis is made in association with the other clinical symptoms. Still you have around 10% chances of having AS.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.