Can one dose of Xanax be skipped?

recentIy stated Xanax I and worried about having a. beer tomorrow want to have dinner and a beer willl take 2mg tonight can I skip tomorrow dose? Also worry bout the effects never taken meds more than aspirin what a normal dose seems anxiety worse at night I had a move a break up and a family issuse enjoy just rrelaxig at bar xanax work to calm night panic attacks thoughts
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 3 hours later
Brief Answer: skipping a dose can cause anxiety, restlessness Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing to us. Xanax or Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine, as you know it must be avoided taking with alcohol. This drug if taken for a few weeks should not be stopped abruptly. If you skip a dose, you may experience anxiety symptoms, panic attacks, restlessness, insomnia etc. (also, alcohol cannot replace the drug to alleviate these symptoms) and I would strongly advise against taking them both together. Since you report potential stressors like family issues and break up, you may approach your psychiatrist for a psychological treatment for the same. It will help you out in the long run since Alprazolam would only be a short term treatment. Dealing with these issues is important for you, and a psychological treatment like cognitive behavior therapy, relaxation techniques will benefit you significantly. Consider it as soon as possible. I hope this helps, Dr. A Rao Kavoor