Can oats be given to a 11 month child?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
My baby is 11 months old, can I give oats that we get in markets?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Most of the oats in market may contain some gluten component during manufacture. If your child or anybody in the family have wheat allergy, do not give oats.

You can safely wait till 2 years. Oats are for adults mainly and not manufactured for infants.

Give your child ragi, rice, vegetables and fruits. Home cooked food is ideal. Allow your baby to eat from your plate.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr Arun