Can numbness due to injury be dangerous?

I was struck by a postable shower head on the left side of my head close 2 my senses yesterday around 7pm n today i woke up with mild headache on the opositive side of injury feeling tires sleepy irritated with mild dizziness n a numbness from time 2 time and my right side eye hurts a bit.. there is no brusing or cuts in my head n no bumps, can this be something to worry about?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later

From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury.

An impact on one side of head causes a rebound injury to the other side of the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the symptoms on the other side of your head.

If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.

Meanwhile you can apply a hot compress in the area of injury and on the eye and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.