Can noticeable cuts on base of penis and butt be indications of HIV?

Question
I'm a 27 year old male. A few days ago, I met a guy who shaved my buttocks with a clean electric shaver and then proceeded to rim me a few minutes later. I don't believe there were any noticeable cuts in or around my butt from the shave. He also shaved my pubes and sucked on my penis for no more than a 90 seconds. Again, I didn't see any noticeable cuts except a very small XXXXXXX past the base of my penis. I did not see any blood or sores in his mouth but I do not know his hiv status for sure (he said he was std- and hiv-). Am I at risk for hiv transmission or am I just being paranoid?
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Chances are slim, but better to get checked Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Although your partner has mentioned a HIV negative status, we cannot completely rely on the same. It would still be most wise to get yourself tested, even though the possibility of you contracting HIV is slim. I would recommend a HIV DUO test after 28 days of sexual contact, which reports a 98% accuracy. I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Can noticeable cuts on base of penis and butt be indications of HIV? 2 hours later
Ok. I will follow that advice. Just to clarify, the HIV test is more for peace of mind than for the risk involved? Also, the areas on my body where the electric razor was used were not cut, so that is not a concern of transmission even if saliva was present on those areas a few minutes later?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, for peace of mind; not necessarily Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. My sincere apologies for the delay as I was experiencing an issue with my internet connectivity. Yes sir, the HIV DUO test is more for peace of mind than risk assessment, but this way we can aim for both. There exists micro-trauma, which is a small break or tear in the skin, which cannot be visualized by the naked eye, and so it would be incorrect to assume that there was no break or cut in the shaved region, although risk of transmission would be low in such a scenario. I hope this helps clear your query. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Can noticeable cuts on base of penis and butt be indications of HIV? 8 hours later
Yes, thank you. One last question. You say there could've been micro tears? An electric razor was used, not a regular razor. Would micro tears still be present? Also, I thought saliva did not transmit the virus?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Micro-trauma still possible Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. If an electric shaver was used then the chances of micro-trauma are slim, but the electric shaver still comes in contact with the skin and uses blades to remove the hair, if I am not wrong. If this was the mechanism of the electric shaver, then mucro-trauma is still possible. And about the HIV virus being present in an infected persons saliva, it is. But not in a concentration enough to cause spread of the infection. Although there have been rare cases of transmission of the virus through the saliva of an infected person coming in contact with an open wound of a healthy individual; although very very rare. So, as mentioned earlier sir, the chances of you getting HIV are close to absent. But for peace of mind, I would still recommend testing. I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Can noticeable cuts on base of penis and butt be indications of HIV? 10 minutes later
I think you have answered everything and I will relax now and get tested later for peace of mind. Thank you for your help!

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: I am glad I could help sir Detailed Answer: Hi sir. I am glad I could be of assistance and could put your mind at ease. Please feel free to write to me about any other clarifications, I am always more than happy to help. Take care and be safe sir.