Can nortriptyline taken for Neuralgia affect thyroid and blood pressure?

I was given a prescription for noratriptyline 10mg in April 2013 for neuralgia. Within 6 weeks I developed hyperthyroidism and had to lower my thyroid medication. In October 2013 my doctor increased the noratriptyline to 25 mgs . By the end of November my blood pressure was hovering around 140 over 90. It is now around 160 over 90. My blood pressure is usually around 120 over 80. I have looked up the side affects of this drug and apparently it can affect both the thyroid and blood pressure. what is your opinion?
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Nortriptyline has no significant interaction with thyroidand BP Detailed Answer: Hello Nortriptyline is a very good drug for neuralgia and I have used it on many of my patients with various condition. I don't think it has any significant effect on thyroid. I haven't seen or heard about thyroid dysfunctions occurring in my patients or colleagues' patients. The thyroid fluctuation is not related to it. It can have effect on cardiac functioning due to anti cholinergic activity though. It is in the form of increased ST interval and changes in T wave on ECG. It means in higher doses, it can produce abnormal rhythm of heart . Actually it comes out to be slower heart rate by 5-7 beats per minute but it is not important clinically in young persons and previously healthy hearts. So I think your blood pressure reading has nothing to do with this medicine. Let me know if you need clarifications. Good Luck Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa Psychiatrist and Sexologist