Can night sweats and dry cough be signs of HIV?

What stage do people with Hiv develop night sweats & a dry cough???
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mostly due to tuberculosis Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. If you talk practically , these things can occur at any stage. However , if we go according to Center of disease classification , they don't mention night sweats and dry cough as a part of there classification. but if you still wanna know , i would say from CDC Stage 2-3. Night sweats can occur in HIV infection as a result of co-existing Tuberculosis infection , so stage is not a matter in that case , as a person with HIV can have tuberculosis at any stage. If we talk about dry cough , it is usually due to secondary infections like Pneumocystis pneumonia , tuberculosis , fungal pneumonia's. So , this should not be a concern that what stage it is with these symptoms , concern should be why they are. I advise you to get Chest Xray , Hemogram , CD4 counts of the concerned person for a better diagnosis and treatment This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD
Follow-up: Can night sweats and dry cough be signs of HIV? 29 minutes later
I took an hiv test (Im assumin 3rd generation) 25 & 27 days after havin unprotected sex... The results came back negative. I'm extremely scared to take another 1.. In your medical opinion, what would be the accuracy of my results at 25 & 27 days using a 3rd generation Hiv test? And should I be concerned??
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detail Follows Detailed Answer: Dear friend. It means you are trying to find symptoms of HIV in you. I don't know , how risky your exposure was , but still , you should get yourself tested again after 6 weeks , once you cross the "Window Period". However ,you can get yourself tested for HIV DNA PCR. That would clear the picture. I can assure you one things , if you have contracted HIV , the symptoms you described won't appear so early. I hope i am able to solve your query. If you you don't have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it.