Ask a Dentist   »  

Can nicoret gum cause bad breath?

Would nicoret gum have anything to do with this info? My husband has awful bad breath and chews "at least 2 packs a day:-)" I got this ifo from wikipedia:
There are over 600 types of bacteria found in the average mouth. Several dozen of these can produce high levels of foul odors when incubated in the laboratory. The odors are produced mainly due to the breakdown of proteins into individual amino acids, followed by the further breakdown of certain amino acids to produce detectable foul gases. For example, the breakdown of cysteine and methionine produce hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan, respectively. Volatile sulfur compounds have been shown to be statistically associated with oral malodor levels, and usually decrease following successful treatment.[10]
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 47 minutes later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your query.

I appreciate just how annoying and embarrassing for you your husband's bad breath (halitosis) can be.

I do not know if you have been able to tell him yet, however if you can bring yourself to do so, you need to tell you husband that is breath smells something awful. He will otherwise be blissfully unaware of it. Knowing how foul smelling he is up-close will motivate him to make the necessary lifestyle changes.

You may well be right about Nicorette. This is the first thing that he needs to quit. In any case, what use is a product that substitutes an addiction via one route for the self same addiction via another route? If necessarily, let him use Wellbutrin again only this time, you administer it to him according to the Patient Information Leaflet. It is a fantastic product but use less that suggested. A couple of weeks should do it.

When your husband is off Nicorette of a few weeks and if he still has halitosis then get him some Aloe Vera mouth wash and ask that he rinses his mouth out with a teaspoon of this every two hours for two weeks or more. This should make a big difference.

I do not think that his bad breath has anything to do with his history of dental work. I hope that I have been of some help to you and that you accept my answer. Thank you.