Can naturogest 200mg can prevent preterm labour?

May 2013
Dear Doc, pls help me to know if Naturogest 200mg can prevent preterm labour?
I had baby at 34th week with Posterior Uretheral Valve (PUV) , he survived only 3hrs due to kidney damage.
At the time of delivery i had natural labour pain but my doctor conducted surgery for delivery instead of normal delivery. Its my 2nd pregnancy going fine, running 30th week. I want to check if Progesterone pills (Nturogest200mg) can prevent preterm labour .

Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

Naturogest contains natural micronised progesterone.
Progesterone hormone helps in maintenance of pregnancy by keeping the uterus quiescent.
So as there is previous history of preterm labor better to use supplementation of progesterone which will help in preventing preterm labor by avoiding premature uterine contractions.
You can continue your other tablets as usual.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Can naturogest 200mg can prevent preterm labour? 37 minutes later
Thanks doc, ur reply have been very satisfactory as you shared the logic too. I have taken Naturogest 200mg twice till 3months and once till 5th month. Then i stopped, and now m prescribed to start them till 34th week.I have checked online about its consumption during this time of pregnancy which states that it may have problems. Pls suggest ..

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Your doctor might have advised to continue the naturogest till 34 weeks because:
You had preterm delivery at 34 weeks previously.
Usually by that time the fetus will gain the capacity to survive in the outer world.

Naturogest belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means animal studies demonstrated some possible risk to the fetus but human studies are lacking.
But as:
The risk is not proved in human studies.
Benefits over-weigh risks here.
No risk demonstrated in third trimester you can use this pills.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.