Can my child's diarrhea be treated?

Hi there,
My daughter is 4yrs old dob 5/29/07, 32 lbs and has had diarrhea for 4 days now.
Took her to Pediatrician today, she has an ear infection as well.
My concern is there is nothing i can do for the diarrhea. Can a hospital help me? She is in great pain in her stomach and rectum and she cant stop crying, not eating and sipping water /apple juice only. Look forward to your advice.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later

I could figure out that you are much worried and cannot wait for too long. Hence I take the opportunity to answer your concerns.

If you are concerned about your kid, yes a hospital / ER can help you by giving Intravenous fluids and medicines to stop the diarrhoea. You would have hospital staff to monitor your baby every second. If your child has unbearable pain, it is always better to take to ER. She gets immediate pain relief.

A diarrhoea for more than 4 days though concerning, as in most kids subsides in 2 days. As your pediatricain has assured that it is not emergency, I feel that you can wait for it to subside on its own.

Hope my answers help you in taking a decision.