Can multiple sclerosis cause acute back muscle spasms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Just wondering if ms can cause acute back muscle spasms

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
Acute back muscle spasms are seen associated with multiple sclerosis.
Muscle spasms can occur either as a sustained stiffness caused by increased muscle tone or as spasms that come and go, especially at night. It can feel like a muscle tightening or it can cause severe pain. It can also produce feelings of pain or tightness in and around joints and can cause low back pain.
It may be aggravated by extremes of temperature, humidity, or infections. It can even be triggered by tight clothing.
Physical therapy and stretching program is the first step in treating such spasms.
Oral muscle relaxants may also be needed for abetter and prolonged relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.