Can moles with irregular edges and pigmentation be an indication of skin cancer?

Hello, Attached please find two images of a mole on my heel. I first noticed it roughly 6 to 8 months ago. It has not grown notably in size since then as far as I can tell. However, the edges seem irregular and I now notice a dark spot (I do not know when the dark spot appeared). The maximum size is 3mm (the mole is 3mm in diameter). It is neither elevated nor painful. My GP said he sees no neoplasia but due to the border he referred me to a dermatologist. It will be a week or more before I can get an appointment and wanted a second opinion. 43 year old male, no skin cancer history, have had two moles removed and both were normal. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suspicious mole Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin condition and I hope I am able to help you in the same. Now I have seen the attached images. There are two causes of concern. One is the development of irregular pigmentation which is color in the mole. The second cause of concern is the site of the mole. To be extra cautious, I would advise you to see a dermatologist who can examine the mole and thereby advise a skin biopsy if required. Now any sudden increase in size of mole, it's shape, it's borders or development of irregular pigmentation or any altered sensation in the form of itching or bleeding are all causes of concern and such moles need further assessment in the form of skin biopsy. So I would advise you firstly not to panic. The appearance of the mole, as far as I can see from the pictures is nothing to be worried about. But still you surely need to meet a specialist. A skin biopsy is the only definitive way to rule out a malignancy. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul