Can missed periods, frequent urination and sore breasts be signs of pregnancy?

Question
Hello Doc, I am a week late for my period. I have Cramps, frequently urinating, feeling hungry more often. but i don't have sore breasts, no nausea, not vomiting. Serum HCG done after a week of missed period is <0.1000. can I be still pregnant? please help. after how many days of missed period can i get +ve reports?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Levels should be detected prior to a missed period Detailed Answer: Hi Ms. XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. If you have never had a delayed period and have been sexually active during your fertile days, your serum beta-hCG levels should show up by now, had you conceived. Please also mention the reference lab values given by your lab. You can repeat the blood test after another week and meanwhile, get a trans-vaginal sonogram as an early pregnancy is easier to detect this way. A 5-6 weeks pregnancy should show at least 1000 mIU/ml in the blood level. Even if the levels happen to be low as is seen sometimes in the early stages, serial serum beta-hCG titres showing doubling values every 2-3 days indicate good progress of the pregnancy. If repeated tests show negative results and no gestation sac is identified in the sonogram, please get urinalysis done to exclude any urinary infection which can mimic the symptoms and can also cause delayed periods. Further investigation is dependent on the observations. Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Can missed periods, frequent urination and sore breasts be signs of pregnancy? 7 minutes later
My periods delay by 1-2 days not more than that. I have attached the report of SERUM HCG. should I check with home preg test after a couple of days? will a pregnant lady have enuf HCG after a 10 days of missed period to be easily detected by home preg test kits? will TVS not effect baby if i am pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Trans-vaginal sonogram is safe in expert hands. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. I have checked your report. Accordingly, you are non-pregnant, but, going by your history and symptoms, I would suggest a repeat test and the sonogram. Any normal pregnancy can be detected easily through urine exam after one week of a missed period. In the present condition, as your hCG levels are undetectable with the serum test, there would be no use with a urine test. If at all, you are pregnant, the serum levels should become detectable within a couple of days at least. Trans-vaginal sonogram is the best way to clarify the situation and is ideal to detect the age and viability of a pregnancy in early stages. It is safe in expert hands. Hope I have clarified your doubts. Please contact if you need any more information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Can missed periods, frequent urination and sore breasts be signs of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Hello, then what can be causes of missed period?? i had done TVS 2 months ago on 1st dec 2013. please find report. anything suspicious in this report.? Thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 3 hours later
Brief Answer: The sonogram reports normal study. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. The sonogram was taken during your previous cycle, if I am right and it reports a normal study. Yet, as you have missed a period now, you would need another sonogram as the previous one is not going to give your present state. If pregnancy can be excluded by a sonogram as well, the cause of the delayed period could be some hormonal imbalance due to some stress, infection, physiological irregularities that occasionally happen, sudden weight disturbances etc. You would need further investigation to conclude. A kickback to the ovaries in the form of hormonal supplement to induce withdrawal bleeding would be needed to set things right. Hope all your queries are clarified. Please contact if you need more information. I will be available to help. Wish you good health. regards, Shanti.V.