Can misoprostol be used to terminate pregnancy ?

I was recommended to take 6 200mg misoprostol 3 oral 3 vaginal to terminate first trimester pregnancy, is this effective and safe?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Termination of pregnancy using only misoprostol is not a standard regimen for first trimester abortion.
Misoprostol causes only cervical ripening and causes some dilatation of cervix. It has got no role in detachment of fetus from uterus. Using these tablets might cause vaginal bleeding but are not likely to cause a complete abortion. You should attempt a medical termination of pregnancy only under the guidance of an expert gynaecologist who can guide you well.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.