Can mifepristone and misoprostol be detected by blood test?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
after taking mifepriston and misoprostole a few days ago.... d out, but I need to do a can they be detected by blood test? how long they are in your system or blood?
Posted Sun, 8 Jun 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AS BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
The drugs are metabolized within 24 - 48 hours, they would not be detected in any conventional blood test.
May I know what test are you planning to take ?
All the best
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Follow-up: Can mifepristone and misoprostol be detected by blood test? 5 minutes later
I live in a country where these are illegal, and I would like to do a follow up with my Gyn just to make sure everything is okay. But I'm not sure if they will do any kind of test. I just wanted to make sure. thanks!

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
AS BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
The best follow up visit is to have a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan done.
That will confirm that the uterus is empty and there is nothing inside.
No blood test can detect these substances, only if your doctor sees something inside the uterus on ultrasound, she may suspect that you had an abortion.
If you do not disclose the details, it can be assumed that you had a natural abortion.
Take care, hope my answer clarifies things.

Follow-up: Can mifepristone and misoprostol be detected by blood test? 3 hours later
I did told them I had a miscarriage and that I wanted to follow up to checked everything is alright. but I was afraid they wanted to find out the cause of my miscarriage and do blood test to find out.
My follow up visit it will be a week after I took both medications.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
AS BELOW

Detailed Answer:
Ideally it should be 15 days after taking the medication.
THey MIGHT run tests to know the cause of the miscarriage, but only if you insist, but in no way, through any blood test, would they know that you took those medications unless you tell them straight out.