Ask a Urologist   »  

Can microscopic blood in urine be a sign of cancer ?

I am 72, just had a BUPA mature medical, the only problem is microscopic blood in urine, I am now on antibiotics.My doctor will test another urine sample tomorrow. I have been regularly taking a 300mg aspirin a day but have stopped now . All other medical tests are excellent , I also have had erectile dysfunction for some years now... My question is: Would the doctors know at this stage if the problem was caused by cancer?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later

Microscopic hematuria can be due to renal stones, urinary bladder infection, renal infection, bleeding disorders, prolonged intake of aspirin or anti coagulants, prostatic infections and of course cancer - either from urinary bladder or kidney or prostate.

In your case since you are taking aspirin regularly, this seems to be the most probable cause. As you have stopped taking aspirin, this microscopic hematuria should disappear in 7-10 days.

Your physician will definitely exclude all the causes one by one.It is not difficult to detect a cancer at this stage.

You can go for an ultrasound of lower abdomen and MRI to rule out any abnormal growths or masses. There are various tumor markers also whose levels can be detected in blood which suggest about a particular cancer.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.