Can metoprolol and lisinopril usage lead to dry irritating lips irrespective of the weather conditions?

I am researching my blood pressure meds to see if one of these can be the cause of my lips and around my lip area to be very ,very dry irritated no matter what the temp. Or weather conditions or what I use on them.They are very painful.My meds Are metoprolol tarta 50mg once daily, triamterene-hctz37.5-25mg tb,lisinopril20mg tablet,both latter ones once Dailey. I have fibromyalgia for many years.Is this mouth/lip problem meds or fibro.?
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Two medicines may cause it, topical care Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking! I am Dr S Khan and i would like to answer your query for the lips dryness irrespective of the weather conditions. Miss XXXXX i want you to know that two of the medicines you mentioned that is metoprolol and lisinopril can cause this effect. Metoprolol causes constriction of blood vessels supplying lips resulting in its dryness and pain by a mechanism called Raynaud's Phenomenon. Also lisinopril cause the angioedema of the lips and can explain the pain. So i suggest you should consult to your cardiologist to readjust the doses and get it fixed. You can use simple petroleum jellies or moisturisers for the lips conditions.topical anesthetic gels can also help the pain. Now the Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition and it needs a complete management from diet and lifestyle to compliance in medicines.Maintain proper sleep routines and keep the food journals. Slowly wean off caffeine, because abruptly stopping caffeine will increase fatigue and pain, headaches, anxiety, and sleep disturbance.avoid alcohol completely for 6 months minimum.No tobacco and no consumption of chemical-laden foods, refined sugars, white flour, aspartame, and monosodium glutamate (MSG).No rich carbohydrates. A diet high in fresh vegetables, fish, and fiber. Green, leafy, and yellow vegetables is recommended. Fruits such as citrus fruits, apples, berries, cantaloupe, and peaches may be preferred. Antioxidants like Vitamins (eg, C, E), minerals (eg, selenium, zinc), and phytochemicals and vitamin D supplements will help. Seek a rheumatologist for further management. I hope it helps. Take care madam and don't forget to close the discussion please. Yours sincerely Khan
Follow-up: Can metoprolol and lisinopril usage lead to dry irritating lips irrespective of the weather conditions? 17 hours later
My lips are like sandpaper, my eyes are dry, my nails are brittle and split. These are some more systems. Which blood pressure pill that I take could most likely be the one? Also I have fibromialya, which meds are new or work best for pain and disturbed sleep(insomnia)?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: All mentioned in above answer Detailed Answer: Thank you for asking! Metoprolol causes these symptoms by causing peripheral vasospasm. I mentioned as topical vasodilators, petroleum jellies or moisturizers would help for that. I answered the details regarding fibromyalgia and regarding medicines the best way is to consult the pain management specialist. As i mentioned many medicinal, non pharmacological and herbal ways in my above answer for sleep , they need to be discussed with your psychiatrist too. Hope it helps Khan