Can metamucil cause a spongy layer around stool? Be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
does metamucil cause a white spongy (looks almost like folded paper) layer around stool? i have been taking it for over a month and never have had this type of stool. I am concerned.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Metamucil contains psyllium husk which contains both soluble and insoluble fibers. The insoluble fibers are seen in the feces as a white spongy material. There is nothing to feel concerned. Be reassured.
You can confirm this by stopping metamucil for a few days and see your stool returning back to the normal.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.