Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Can melted plastic containers cause toxicity if they are ingested?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Question
I left the plastic top on(without realizing) and put the aluminum container with the plastic top on and put it in the oven.
When I took it out of the oven the plastic was sitting on top of the food. I picked it off and didnt look good enough at it thinking i knocked it off the stove onto the top of the food and it was crumpled up plastic wrap. After eating I went to throw it out and realized it was the plastic top that was melted into a ball and not the plastic wrap I thought I knocked it was. It was just sitting on top ot the food it shrunk into a ball and looked like the whole thing was there including the lable so I don't think i actually ate it but it did sit on top of the food and cook with it. Wonder what you thin how XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
 
 
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Please do not worry.

Usually melted plastic containers do not cause toxicity if they are ingested once or twice, it takes a long time for the PVC to deposit in the body and plastic is XXXXXXX only when its fumes are inhaled and it causes inhalational injuries such as shortness of breath, cough and bloody sputum.
In your case though there is a risk of some amount of ingestion you haven't been exposed to poisonous fumes so there is no reason to worry. The major part of molten plasticisers if accidentally ingested once will be excreted out of your system and are not likely to cause much harm to your health . However repeated exposures should be avoided in future . As of now you neednot do anything but if you notice any unusual symptoms you can visit your doctor for a check up.
So please do not worry .
Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask any further queries.
Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
 
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor