Can medications cause temporary or permanent impotency ?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

Is there any medicine which can cause parmanent impotency?
Also can you tell me the name of medicine for temporarily impotency?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Follow-up: Can medications cause temporary or permanent impotency ? 28 minutes later
Is there any medicine which can cause permanent impotency?

Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 29 minutes later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

There are a number of medicines that can cause temporary erectile dysfunction (impotence). Some of these are -

- Drugs used for High Blood Pressure (e.g. Propranolol)
- Drugs used for treatment of Cancer (Chemotherapy)
- Anti-depressants such as Sertraline and Fluoxetine
- Anti-psychotic medicines
- Hormonal supplements
- Antibiotics or anti-fungal drugs

Though erectile dysfunction is one of their side effects, it does not happen in each and every case.

Apart from the medicines, other substances that can cause temporary erectile dysfunction are - alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, etc.

The erectile dysfunction due to these can be reversed once they are stopped. But long term use of alcohol, smoking can lead to plaque formation on the blood vessels of the erectile tissue, and the dysfunction may become permanent.

A long term and heavy dose of any of those drugs can cause permanent loss of erectile ability.

There is no medicine known to us that can cause permanent impotence with one or two doses.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

Follow-up: Can medications cause temporary or permanent impotency ? 24 hours later
Doctor,

I want to take divorce from my husband so i have only one base which is impotency. If you can tell me any medicine which can cause permanent impotency so i can feed to my husband and get divorce. I am helpless from all side my parents forced me for this marriage now this person is beating me every day and consume lot of alcohol. Please help me to save my life here , i will be really thank full to you. Please doctor...pls tell me any dose which can cause permanent impotency.

Answered by Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh, 1 hour later
Hello.

As I have mentioned earlier, we are not aware of any medicine that can cause impotence with one or two doses.

If you are having a troubled marriage, there are better ways to deal with it, than this. Law has a provision for protection of women against domestic violence. Please have a look at this link -

WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW
Healthcare providers and legal advisors will never advice you to resort to any methods such as trying to make your husband impotent, for the sake of divorce. In fact, if you have decided not to stay with the marriage, you can go through the legal way.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD