Can low testosterone levels cause obesity or sonring?

Dr. XXXXXXX would the fact that my testosterone is lower than the ideal for my age of 57 have an impact on my obesity or snoring issues? My testosterone is about half the measurement of normal. I think it is about 175 instead of 350.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Obesity Lowers testosterones, so does age Detailed Answer: Hello Again XXXX! Thank you for asking a direct query. I want you to know that yes testosterones levels are inversely proportional to obesity and not just obesity but also to insulin resistance, alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking.Visceral obesity is more lethal than peripheral adipose tissues. And low testosterone levels are responsible for visceral obesity so yes that also is a reason. But i want to clarify it to you that low testosterone levels are a factor amongst many causing obesity. Its not just it.Its a lot bigger spectrum of reasons which involves genetic predispositions to sedentary lifestyle and diet and lifestyle patterns. Mr XXXXXXX you should know Testosterones lowered are the result of obesity not the cause of it. And once lowered further progresses obesity through vicious circle. Mr XXXXXXX you should know that advanced age accompanied by a progressive decline of gonadal function manifested by a fall in total, bioavailable and free plasma testosterone levels is inevitable. Free and bioavailable testosterone levels decline more steeply than total testosterone levels because of the age-associated increase in SHBG level(SHBG is the circulating steroid-binding protein produced by the liver that binds testosterone with high affinity. It is an important regulator of androgen homeostasis and functions as a modulator of androgen delivery to the tissues.). And obesity increases this protein and thus lowers testosterones levels. These low testosterones due to obesity are reversible once obesity is managed. Also the chronic alcoholism presents with this picture so no alcohol. Any how you can consult an endocrinologist to sort out any other aetiology if present other than obesity and advanced age for low levels of Testosterones. I hope i was of some help Mr XXXXXXX If you have any more queries Mr XXXXXXX Please feel free to ask. I would be happy to answer. Other wise you knwo the drill. Closing the discussion and rating the answer is the humble request i have. Have a very good rest of the day and take some very good care of yourself. Yours sincerely Dr S Khan