Can low serum potassium levels cause chest pain?

what doe s a potassium of 2.4 cause what can happen,will it cause chest pain?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 15 minutes later
Thanks for the query

Serum potassium of 2.4 is called hypokalmenia. Some of the most common causes of hypokalmenia are

1. Use of certain hypertensives called diuretics
2. Nebulisations for asthma
3. Post dialysis
4. Potassium losing nephropathy
5. Low potassium intake
6. Dehydration
7. Elderly people
8. Insulin infusion for uncontrolled diabetes

Low potassium by itself is in not life threatening. It causes non specific symptoms most of the time like
1. Weakness
2. Easy fatigue ability
3. Muscle cramps
4. If the potassium becomes very low then it causes reversible paralysis, usury sparing the eye and the respiratory muscles

Chest pain and lethality of potassium related issues are usually seen in hyperkalemia where the potassium is more than the normal levels

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no follow up queries please click the accept button

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Can low serum potassium levels cause chest pain? 28 minutes later
right now i take 90mlq potassium how long does it take for potassoium also is a potassium of 2.4 or lower grounds for hospital admission
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 0 minute later
Hello thanks for reverting to me

It will take about 1 week for the potassium to come back to normal limits.
You could augment it by eating potassium XXXXXXX products like
Fruits especially banana, coconut, sprouts, etc

There is no set level of potassium to warrant admission, but generally a level below 1.8 or any levels with the above mentioned symptoms are admitted to the hospital.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no follow up queries please accept my answer

I wish you a speedy recovery