Can low iron levels cause fainting, dizziness and low blood pressure ?

Hello, My daughter is 16yrs old. She fainted the other day which is the second time. We went to the doctor and she did blood tests. Her iron is low at 20 her blood sugar is 3.6 and her blood pressure was 80/50 when sitting and 75/50 when standing. She has been feeling dizzy over the last couple of years. She has a athletic frame and is around 170cm tall. Just wondering whats going on with a young fit girl her age and she eats fruit,salad and veg daily.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Follow-up: Can low iron levels cause fainting, dizziness and low blood pressure ? 19 minutes later
Just wanted to add she had a headache for 3days prior and was complaining of feeling hot. Could it all be related to low iron or are they all different. How can I monitor any of them? When she fainted it was straight after tea, she dropped her plate on the way to the kitchen. We had marinated chicken strips on a bed of spinach leaves,cucumber,carrot,capsicum,onion,tomato with salad dressing.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for your query, I have read through the details and give you the below opinion.

Yes, it could be due to low Iron levels , at her age the normal Serum iron ranges between 50 to 120Mg/dl.The better way to confirm the same would be by getting her hemoglobin levels checked which do suggest bloodlessness and supports the idea.

Low BP can also be explained by the same.Along with that she may have disturbances in heart rate which has to be confirmed by examining her pulse rate some times with an 2D echocardiography.

The sugar level is pretty ok, well Hypoglycemia may be one common cause of the problem like she has in her age,it has to be well monitored. Mild dizziness should be asking for a blood glucose check better with a home glucometer.

The food prior to the incident has no role here.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.