Can loose stools, swollen gums, spots on arm and leg in child is due to herpes infection?

Are there any specific signs/symptoms to differentiate HFMD, Herpangina, and HSV1? My toddler has the symptoms common to these, plus it started with sandy/gritty loose stools and now includes very swollen gums, spots on an arm and leg. This began 8days ago.
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: could be herpes infection. Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for sharing your concern. In answer to your query I would say it is sometimes difficult to say clinically whether the patient has Herpangina, Hand foot and mouth disease or herpes infections due to close similarity in their symptoms. But yes, there are few minute differences which upon close observation and test can prove whether it is one of them or not. Herpangina is acute febrile illness associated with vesicular eruptions on posterior pharyngeal structures.It is usually seen more in summers and affecting childern. young adolescent, newborns and toddlers are less affected by this. Coming to herpes ,in 99%cases there is painful swollen gums and blisters on lips which is not commonly seen in Hand foot and mouth disease exclusively. The typical features of hand foot and mouth disease are sore throat and high fever which slowly decreases over a week apart from the other signs . It appears, your toddler might have herpes infection presently.The spots on arm and leg could be due to other fungal infection too. Did you check his/her fever?please check so that it can be evaluated better. Hope it helps.let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: Can loose stools, swollen gums, spots on arm and leg in child is due to herpes infection? 10 hours later
Fever was highest last Wed, Thur & Fri. Fever has decreased since then, and no fever starting Monday. He also had sandy/gritty loose stools with the fever. He has no blisters outside of the couple inside his bottom lip and the couple on his arms/ legs. He also complained of headache with the fever .
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. Blisters are usually on outer lip in herpes, however it can even present with blisters limited to inner lip and throat occasionally. The manifestation in toddlers is quiet different when compared to adults as their immunity is low. Fever was the main concern. If the fever has decreased you don't need to worry much. These oral and skin lesions will heal within a week as it seems a viral. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you