Can ligual tonsilitis cause neck and shoulder pain?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hey can ligual tonsilitis cause neck and shoulder pin
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 39 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Lingual tonsillitis may cause neck and shoulder pain due to referred pain from the throat, inflamed lymph nodes in the neck or due to excessive coughing.

2. Get a videolaryngoscopy done to check whether the lingual tonsils are inflamed or hypertrophied.

3. Conservative medical treatment will usually settle this condition. You may try a mild pain killer and a medicated oral rinse for gargling. Do you have fever? What is the condition of the palatine tonsils and the posterior pharyngeal wall?

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can ligual tonsilitis cause neck and shoulder pain? 51 minutes later
My ligual tonsilitis r inflammed

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Specific medication should be taken only under the supervision of a local doctor.

2. A broad spectrum antibiotic, an anti-allergic, an anti-inflammatory and a medicated gargle will usually take care of any infection.

3. After the infection has subsided, a short course of steroids may help in reducing the lingual hypertrophy, if any. This may prevent future lingual tonsillitis.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can ligual tonsilitis cause neck and shoulder pain? 7 hours later
But my ent is removing tonsils at front and doing biopsy of liqual cause causing pain in left ear and throat

Thank you for your query.

1. There is no need to perform a tonsillectomy during acute tonsillitis. Medication should be used to control the acute tonsillitis and then tonsillectomy may be planned a few weeks later.

2. Tonsillectomy is usually done for chronic tonsillitis. The criteria are as follows:
a. A history of more than 5 to 6 attacks of tonsillitis over 2-3 consecutive years,
b. Congested anterior pillars,
c. Palpable, non tender Jugulo-Digastric (JD) lymph nodes,
d. Enlarged Tonsils.

3. Lingual tonsil biopsy will help only if a specific inflamed or hypertrophied area is seen on examination.

Regards.