Can letrozole be used while planning to conceive ?

I am 28yrs old. My mensurational cycle is regular (28-30days cycle). I am planning to conceive, so Visited gynic for a general consultation, just to make sure that I am not having any problems. She prescribed Letrozole (5 tablets) starting on the 4th day of my mensuration and asked me to come again on the 11th day. She said that she'll scan the abdomen to see if egg is releasing properly. Later i've been reading in the internet that there may be birth defects if letrozole is used. Is it safe to use them or should i wait for some months and then if i dont conceive should i use them.? will there be any side effects if i use the letrozole now.?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 53 minutes later

Is this the first time that you are attempting to conceive or have you tried to conceive before this?

If this is the first time that you are attempting to conceive, then in my opinion you do not need to take any medications.

You have a history of regular 28-30 day menstrual cycles. Do note that you are likely to ovulate around 14 days before the expected date of your next period. This suggests that your fertile period is most likely to be from day 12 to day 18 of your menstrual cycle. Do plan to have sexual intercourse during this time to maximize your chances of getting pregnant.

If you fail to conceive after having tried for at least 8-10 months, then you can consider consulting a gynecologist for investigations.

Letrozole is a medication that is approved for the treatment of breast cancer in post menopausal women. As per the current approved guidelines, letrozole should not be used in women who are or may become pregnant due to potential hazard to the fetus. However, this drug has been frequently used off-label for treating ovulation related problems in women with infertility.

In your case, if you have not attempted to conceive before this, you are definitely not a patient with infertility. Try to conceive naturally. In my opinion, you do not need to use letrozole at this point. And please discuss about this with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.
Follow-up: Can letrozole be used while planning to conceive ? 18 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your immediate response.
Are there any other precautions I should be taking when trying to conceive.? In either routine or food habits.

Also the doctor prescribed folate supplements(folvite) for 15days. Should I continue them.?
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 4 hours later

Here are some simple tips that will help you to maintain general well-being and prepare you for conception:

1. Ensure that you have nutritious food. Eat a well balanced diet with lots of fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (they are a good source of iron and folic acid). Drink lots of milk (it is a good source of calcium).
2. Avoid any fancy weight loss diets. If you are overweight, consult a dietician for an appropriate diet plan.
3. Reduce caffeine intake.
4. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
5. Follow regular physical exercises. Start it slowly and don't overdo it. As soon as you conceive, do consult your doctor about whether it is safe for you to continue.
6. Plan to have sexual intercourse around day 12 to day 18 of your cycle as this is considered to be the most fertile period.
7. Avoid stress. Relax and keep yourself in a happy frame of mind.

Continue taking the folate supplements as prescribed by your doctor.

Wish you all the very best!