Can kidney disease cause itching in urethra with occasional burning sensation ?

Hi, I have itching in my urethra. This itching is restricted to the bottom of the urethra(from tip of the penis to 1 inch above). The itching is not continuous. I have it once or twice in a day. I am experiencing it for the past 3 or 4 months. Once in 15 times I have a slight burning sensation(at the tip of the penis to 1 inch above) while urinating. The urine color is sometimes dark and some times normal. Always it's dark in the morning. Also I have to say my water consumption level is less per day.
I have a doctor friend , as per his suggestion I had "Azithromycin" for a week but there is not much difference after the course. Sometimes after ejaculation I have a slight itchy feeling at the tip of my urethra(from inside the tip of the penis to 1 inch above). I am really worried about this. I am scared that it could be a kidney disease. I have no other symptoms. Please provide me a good consultation.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for your query,

First I would like to assure you that the symptom you have could not be related to any kind of serious kidney disease.

The yellow / dark urine you have is simply due to starvation ( over night ) or due to low water consumption , which makes the urine concentrated ans that is completely normal.

The itching you have on penis could be due to two causes one most likely a bacterial infection which could have subsided after a course of azithromycin and the second probable cause is a fungal infection as the presentation is very typical.

I would ask you to apply MICANAZOLE oint over the affected area for a week twice daily, You will find relief.Do not touch the affected part frequently and do consume lots of water which will wash out the infection.

Also get a urine culture sensitivity test to completely rule out possibility of a bacterial infection as its the common ailment suspected .There are chances where the some bacteria are resistant to azithromycin .A urine culture sensitivity test will isolate the bacteria and also determines which antibiotic is lethal against it.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Can kidney disease cause itching in urethra with occasional burning sensation ? 24 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your consultation. I will get the urine culture sensitivity test done and apply the MICANAZOLE ointment on outer skin of the penis. In my previous query I have mentioned about

1. itching inside the urethra. I don't have itching in the complete urethra but I have itching at the opening of the urethra(twice or thrice a day, from the opening of the urethra to 1 inche inside).

2.Also once in 10 or 15 times I feel a slight burning sensation while urinating. Is it some what a serious condition doctor? Any medication you suggest for this doctor?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

Yes, i did understand your symptom .The treatment i advised holds good for the description of the symptoms you have given me the second time.

Do consume a cup of CranBerry juice twice daily it will alleviate the symptoms , drinking water is the best solution overall.

Wish you good health.