Can jolt to the neck causing bulging disc results in loss of salivation and dry mouth?

ENT Specialist
Question
can a jolt to the neck that caused to bulging disk with compression cause loss of salivation and feeling in the nouth as well as taste disturbance. also have humdness when swallowing. no feeling in throat. i have extreme dry mouth without the use of gum or dental gel.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes jolt can cause Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. For your kind information jolt to the neck can cause 1. Decrease salivation. 2. Taste disturbance or loss. 3. Facial numbness. 4. Facial palsy. 5. Difficulty in swallowing. 6. Dry eye. Due to the compression of the one or more cervical nerve i.e.C1 to C 7. To reach the near diagnosis and exclusion of the other disease and for better management, you may consult the neurologist and go for MRI cervical spine. For initial treatment you may take--- 1. Systemic steroids if you are non diabetics and non hypertensive. 2. Restrict cervical movement as much as possible. 3. Supportive treatment. If you have any doubt , I will available for your query.

Follow-up: Can jolt to the neck causing bulging disc results in loss of salivation and dry mouth? 35 minutes later
they did an MRI and found 2 bulging disk in neck and said it only explained my arms being tingling all the time not my taste or salivatgion. salivation has been gradually declining over 2 months since inccident after starting traction and neck exercises my mouth completely dried up. they say its unrelated without further testing.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, they are right but Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Only bulging of cervical disc does not cause your taste loss and salivation but associate injury around this area may cause such symptoms i.e. injury to the facial nerve, above the cervical nerves. There for it is absolute necessary to exclude this damage instead of neglecting them. Loss of salivation or taste disturbance may be due to your treatment. For better diagnosis and management you may go for the 1. Electromyogram and nerve conduction studies. 2. Topographic tests of the facial nerve. 3. Prescribed Treatment. If you again have any doubt, I will be available for your query. Wish you good health

Follow-up: Can jolt to the neck causing bulging disc results in loss of salivation and dry mouth? 6 hours later
could hormones cause this? should they be tested as I am 49 and having cycle problems at times.

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hormonal cause is possible Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your follow up query. If you are 49 year old with cycle problem then hormonal cause should also excluded for this symptom with diabetes and thyroid profile. Wish you good health