Can inflammation cause heart palpitations?

can inflammation cause heart palpatations
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
Palpitation is awareness of your own heart beat. It can be due to increased or decreased rate of heart beats or increased force with which heart is beating. The later happens when there is more volume than normal in heart to pump, either as a result of increased blood volume or a leaky valve where the pumped blood leaks through valve in filling chamber also.
Inflammation is usually (but not exclusively) due to infection. It leads to protective cells of the body to the site of infection. These cells secrete substances which raise the temperature of the body, thereby increasing the demand of individual organs for their function. More blood is required by these organs to function. Total blood volume is constant so heart has to beat fast to XXXXXXX the needs of body, we may perceive this as palpitation. Thus inflammation can lead to palpitation. I hope that answers your primary question, if there is a supplementary I will be only too happy to try to answer. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW