Can infection post medical abortion cause foul smelling watery discharge ?

I had a medical abortion (misoprostol pills) a few weeks ago. The bleedings now stopped but there is watery discharge every now and again it smells like out of date chicken, its not a nice smell. Ive had sexual intercourse with my partner in the past week, could this be the result? Is there an infection and can I go to my pharmacy and buy something over the counter for this?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 50 minutes later

After taking abortion pills the products of conception are thrown out of body for couple of weeks in form of bleeding and discharge.Usually in most of the cases this is sufficient and leads to complete evacuation of products.

Discharge along with unpleasant smell could due to some infection as you are pointing out.There is another possibility of incomplete evacuation of products in some cases which again can lead to this.

Sexual relation with partner normally can not lead to this.The best thing I would suggest for you is to visit your doctor and get yourself examined. After examination your doctor may advise an ultrasound to see that everything is fine and nothing is left inside.

I will not advocate any self medication without proper examination in your case. Infection if present needs to be treated energetically so as to avoid any further complication in future.

Dear XXXXXXX please see you doctor and get proper examination done and take treatment as per the advise.

Still if you have some doubts in your mind ,please write again,I am glad to reply it. One more advise before I conclude adopt good contraception for unplanned pregnancies and its resulting complications.

Bye for now.