Can increased dosage of Levothyroxine cause tingling sensation in the arms?

I take 112 mg of Levothyroxine for low thyroid, for a half year, before 75 mgs for a half year. It seems I am getting more arm tingling, first left now right too, and kind of a sore feeling to the arms when the tingling is going on. It seems it is more when I sit down for a while. It goes away, but might come back in a couple of hours. Could the increase in the drug cause this. Also, I read that I shouldn't take multivitamins with low thyroid medicine. I take them.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query.

Levothyroxine has to be taken on an empty stomach and multivitamins have to be taken after meals. The increase in the dose of levothyroxine is not responsible for the symptoms of tingling which you've mentioned.

The multivitamins can be taken by a patient who's on thyroid medications. However, the two should not be taken at the same time. The symptoms are more likely due to the sensory neuropathy. In this, the sensory part of the nerve is not functioning normally and it is the cause of such abnormal tingling sensations. It can be caused by a number of underlying problems. Diabetes is one important cause.

Hence, please get your blood sugars done and ensure that your blood suagrs remian under control. Vitamin B 12 deficiency is another common cause. Hence, their levels need to be assessed. hypothyroidism can produce such symptoms. In this the median nerve is compressed at the wrist, leading to pain, paresthesias (tingling sensations), and muscle weakness in the forearm and hand. Cervical spondylitis can also produce such symptoms.

I'll suggest getting the Nerve conduction velocity done which helps in pinpointing the site and severity of sensory neuropathy. Please do consult a neurologist for the same. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.