Ask a Dentist   »  

Can i use TCP on gum abscess & does it work reducing the abscess?

Question
Hi, can I use TCP on a gum abcess ? If so, can i just dab TCP on the area or should i dilute it with water and gargle. Does TCP work in reducing the abcess ? THks
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
You do not need to use TCP for a gingival abscess.TCP is for bone defects.
If you would provide me the relevant details, I would be in a better position to guide you.
1. The gum abscess that you have is in what area of oral cavity?
2. Since how many days do you have this problem?
3.Is there any filling or any other dental treatment you got earlier?
4.Are you taking any medicine?
5. Do you have any additional symptoms like fever etc.?
6.Do you have any x-ray of that abscess area?if you have, can you please upload that x-ray. You can use the 'Upload your reports' section on the right.
Awaiting your reply
Dr. Gunjan Gupta

Follow-up: Can i use TCP on gum abscess & does it work reducing the abscess? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

The gum abscess that you have is in what area of oral cavity? front lower tooth (right)
2. Since how many days do you have this problem? 48 hrs
3.Is there any filling or any other dental treatment you got earlier? i've had a root canal on that area about 6 years ago.
4.Are you taking any medicine? Flucloxacillin, ibuprofen and rinsing with salt.
5. Do you have any additional symptoms like fever etc.? none..

No x-rays

this has happened once before about 2 years ago, and then again a couple of days ago. It seems to have been triggered by spicy food and alcohol that i had at a party on Sat..does lots of alcohol cause this ?

Its a gum abcess as there has been a bit of pus around the tooth and slight swelling of the gum. It seems to be gettting better with lesser pain since the beggining but i was wondering whether dabbing TCP would help..
Thks

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 29 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for giving me all these details.

The details are consistent with an infection of the root canal.

So an endodontist can provide you better treatment related to this problem. Hence I will suggest you please go to a competent Endodontist in your area.

The Endodontist will do a complete examination including intraoral periapical radiograph (X-ray) of that area. This gingival abscess needs an opening for drainage. If there will be infection your endodontist will give you antibiotics and painkillers prior to treatment.

Can you please expand what do you mean by TCP? I can be clear and explain you better.

If you have further any questions will be happy to help you.

Take care,
Dr.Gunjan Gupta