Can i use Metronidazole given for BV, also for pain while urinating?
User rating for this question
i have been diagnosed with BV (Gardnerella) and have taken a single dose treatment of metronidazole. a couple days later i started to have pain in urinating again. should i take another stat treatment of the antibiotic? could i have something more tham Gardnerella? i have tested negative for chylamedia and gonorrhea.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Saul Weinreb 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for using HCM, I would love to help Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic. BV can cause vaginal irritation, odor and discharge, but it does not cause pain with urination. The antibiotic you took would help with gardnerella and BV but not with the urinary infection (if you have one). So I don't see any reason for you to take the antibiotic again. You can try to drink lots of fluid and cranberry juice and see if you can clear the urine infection on your own. If the pain persists, or gets worse, or you develop fever, back pain or other severe symptoms, you should call your doctor and start an antibiotic for a UTI. However most of the time it will clear on its own. I hope this was helpful, please let me know if you have any more questions. Dr. Weinreb
People also viewed
- Metronidazole for bv
- Is painful or difficult urination a side effect of metronidazole?
- Is frequent or painful urination a side effect of metronidazole?
- Uses for metronidazole
- Pain killers with metronidazole
- Effect of norethisterone tablets ip 5mg
- Random vaginal spotting stomach cramps
- Concor 5mg phlegm
- Cranmed tablets use question
- Period cramps with utovlan
- Crawling pains on labia
- Is regestrone 5mg a contraceptive
- Does 5mgs of ramipril cause headaches
- Steroid cream menstrual cycle
- Any side effects of rozat 5mg