Can i take ibuprofen after tooth extraction?

I have stomach ulcers and will be having a tooth extracted. I have been told by my stomach Doctor NOT to take any pain meds. What can I use for pain following the tooth extraction? Can I take Ibuprofen or Tramadol?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Ibuprofen and tramadol ma'am; other options Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Most pain medications irritate the inner lining of the stomach and cause ulceration, bleeding, etc; as side effects. For those individuals who have been diagnosed with ulceration of the inner lining of the gastric mucosa, all these pain medications can only make the condition worse. Tramadol and ibuprofen are both contraindicated ma'am, please do not take either of these medications. In these patients medications like paracetamol; combination drugs like tylenol (containing the active ingredients acetaminophen and codeine), or vicodin (containing the active ingredients acetaminophen and hydrocodone) for severe pain, etc; can be prescribed. But please speak to your dentist before considering such medications to help manage your pain, and he/she shall prescribe you the required medication. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.