Ask a Urologist   »  

Can i opt for hydrocele surgery inspite of spinal stenosis?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am 89 years old, have had ultra sound verifying that I have hydrocele and it has grown in a year to potato size, no pain. At my age, is surgery too XXXXXXX though I am in good health even with spinal stenosis? I have read many terrible cases of suffering associated with the healing so can I expect that?
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Today,advanced age isnt contraindciation for most surgical procedures especially for minor procedures such as hydrocele repair. However, your heart and lung condition must be evaluated by anastheologist who will decide what type of anasthesia can be performed or can it be done at all. It can be done under general or spinal anasthesia. If you dont have serious heart and lung diseases then surgery should be performed. Compliciations of hydrocele repair are very rare and recovery is usually quick and uneventful. I dont know where did ou read about those terrible sufferings. this is rarity and this shouldnt worry you if you decide to have surgery. Such large hydroceles can be asymptomatic forever but also it can lead to testicle torsion, infection or significant pain. Decision is up to you of course,bue all in all, I dont think that there is contraindication for surgery.Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Can i opt for hydrocele surgery inspite of spinal stenosis? 26 hours later
Thank you for your helpful information. I am concerned that maybe I have overdone the exercises. I did play golf, rode cart, last golf season once a week April, May, XXXXXXX July, Aug, Sept, Oct 2013. Hip surgery was Oct. 2012 and I was given the go ahead for activities in 2013. I will go back to the specialist who did the surgery and see how the left hip looks and ask why my right one (surgrery) itches and burns so often. Again, thanks for your helpful reply.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 29 hours later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: It is not uncommon that is periprothetic arthrosis or inflammation occur in hips that are operated. You should do at least xrays,but MRI would be more sensitive for it. Till that,you should rest and take nonsteorid painkillers. You can do stretching exercises,swimming and easier sports,but avoid jumping and running. If severe coxarthorsis is seen on xrays then surgery may be indicated or some stronger antiinflammatoy medicines may be neccessary. Wish you good health. Regards